Friday, July 11, 2008

Our society today

Let me start off by saying that this is my opinion and my opinion only. I am not insulting anyone's parenting style. My views are based on observations made in everyday life by different people.

I remember when I was a teenager that things were much more different. The way we dressed was in baggy clothes with ponytails up high. Hahaha I remember my dad always called me such a boy, but that was the main style, not to say that others didn't dress provocative, but they were few. When I wore skirts I had to wear shorts underneath, when I wore shirts I had to make sure it was up to my neck, yes my mom was that strict.

What happened???? Did I grow up and open my eyes? Has there really been a big change? I mean I look around now and these young girls with barely any clothes on, smoking, cursing, doing drugs, having boyfriends at such young ages and getting pregnant for no reason "just because it's fun". I mean am I wrong? I look around and see parents act like they are the children and the children are the parents. What is wrong with this picture? Am I the only one that sees this? I believe that parents should befriend their children but know when to draw that line of parenting. I always say when I become a mother I won't be like other moms, is that fair to say? I mean I've seen their mistakes and know not to make them, but did they think the same as me when they were without child?

If some of the kids I've met including my siblings are the adults of the future, then I am scared. I truly am scared because what would be of the world then? If now it is barely hanging on. Don't get me wrong some children have been raised to aspire to something and they will be the Bill Gates or OPRAH of tomorrow but there are few in between. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn everything and know everything and most importantly I learned the meaning of a dollar in which most kids now don't. It's just "give me give me" and if you don't then you are a bad parent. Being a bad parent is giving them all that they want and ask for-rather than them earning it.

I look forward to having several children of my own and pray that I don't make these mistakes with them, my opinion might change when I have them, but as of know it stands strong. I want my child to have everything they want and feel great about themselves (like I do) because they worked hard for what they have. I believe this is why most rich kids are so bored with their life that they turn to drugs and rebelliousness. They don't know the meaning of a dollar and how hard it is to earn it. Am I wrong or has society changed so drastically? Discuss........

No comments: